The most important things I learned in 2015


I know, I know - it’s that cliche ‘Where has the year gone?!’ time of the year. But seriously though, where the MOTHER FUCKING HELL did 2015 go? I ain’t okay with this.

This year has probably been the biggest year of my life, a lot of shit has happened and I don’t really know what to make of it yet. As terrible and cheesy as it sounds, I honestly am a completely different person than I was a year ago and as it creeps closer to the end of the year *and* my 23rd birthday, I thought I’d do a little round up post to shed some light on the things that I’ve learned.



  1. Being on your own is probably going to be one of the scariest things you’ve ever done. I moved out on my own and single for the first time in three years. In hindsight, deciding to be COMPLETELY alone all at once was maybe not the smartest idea I’ve ever had (cue flashbacks of me sleeping with a knife next to my bed at nights) but it taught me a lot of things.
    Depending on yourself for your own happiness is super fucking important. No one was going to be waiting at home to entertain me, no one was going to be there to cheer me up if I had a bad day - I had to be an adult and make myself okay. If I was lonely, I had to make an effort to go out and be social. 


    You absolutely have to take control of your shit because when it’s 2am and you can’t sleep and your brain is full of sad thoughts - the only person who is going to pick you up, is you.



  2. Dating is so weird, but pretty fun. I sort of consider it a blessing that I became single in the age of online dating, because it gave me so many more options to meet guys rather than friends of friends or work. It’s actually a lot of fun when you can detach from the awkwardness of it all and just kind of see it as meeting potential new friends. Because if it doesn’t work out, friends are awesome too. I’m still friends with all the people I went on some dates with. And there's also the possibility of good sex sooo ..yeah.




  3. When someone shows you who they really are, believe them. I spent a lot of time giving people the benefit of the doubt, people that didn’t treat me very well at all - because I felt like I was making a rash decision or being too quick to judge. But if people continually disappoint you or hurt you.. That’s not going to change and you actually don’t have to keep them in your life. Cut them out and acknowledge that you are better than that bullshit.


  4. Drunk texting/calling/emailing will more often than not, make you regret it and all your life choices thus far.


  5. Effort changes everything. It sounds so creepy, but I was sick of not having many female friends so I literally just decided that I would go out and make a real effort to meet awesome women to talk shit with. Oh my god I was so embarrassed that I was trying so hard, but it actually fucking worked. I made myself talk to people more and be more receptive to new people in my life and I met THE BEST PEOPLE. The friends that I have made this year are from all over New Zealand and the world, and they are honestly the best, most supportive people I could ever ask for. 

    All because I got a bit drunk one day and started harassing people on Twitter.


  6. Pretending to be confident actually works most of the time. I never used to wear form fitting clothing and I hated wearing my glasses and I was honestly just so concerned with what people were thinking or saying about me. I wish there was a magical way to fix this, but I kind of got tired of caring? Pretend you are 100% okay with what you got and you might actually find you stop pretending at some point.


  7. Completely chucking your toys is perfectly fucking fine sometimes. There will be times when you just cannot deal with any of the shit in your life and you need to go on some kind of bender (be it wine or chocolate fuelled) and just.. fucking EJECT for a bit.
    It’s actually okay to go on an all night dancing mission, or get silly and take a hot guy home or blast Adele and Ed Sheeran and cry your face off.
    Things aren’t always rosy and it’s cool to just go with that reckless feeling.


  8. Just because you can eat a whole package of donuts, does not mean you should do it. You might throw up in your kitchen.


  9. Overthinking is dangerous and can ruin everything lovely if you let it. Get a good friend that will tell you when you are being a goddamn crazy bitch and slap it the fuck outta you. (Thanks Katie)


  10. Wine can grow on you. Shots are always a bad idea. Beer is actually super refreshing.


  11. Finding a creative outlet that makes you happy is the fucking best.
    Writing this blog may not make me money, or gain me notoriety - hell I don’t even have that many followers. It’s an outlet for me to get my thoughts out somewhere and I genuinely enjoy it. Writing brings me huge stress relief and it’s fun to know people out there are actually reading my sweary rants. Try and find something that makes you feel dope and fresh and all happy and stuff.


  12. It’s 100% okay to know what you want and to not settle for less. A lot of people don’t know what they want, who they want, where they want to be - but if you do, own it and don’t be ashamed of it. I didn’t want the life I had last year, so I don’t have that life anymore. If you want a serious relationship, don’t settle for booty calls. If you want to get fit or lose weight, don’t let other people dictate how you do that.


  13. Pizza will always fix everything, always.


Do I seem wise and put together now? It’s all an illusion, I’m writing this in my undies.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks lovely! I'm getting there x

    ReplyDelete
  2. FREAKING LOVE THIS BABE
    You are SUCH a strong person for doing what you've done this year - such an inspiration. Love you so much bb, so glad I met you and you are in my life xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too, thanks for being the best. Miss you! x

      Delete
  3. LOVE THIS!!!

    You have learnt so much! Keep being so god dam awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beb this is such a quality piece of writing. I love how empowered you are you amazing creature. So glad to be pals with such an enlightened and incredible person ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naw thank you Elese, I trust your judgement on my writing skills more than anyone hahaha. Right back at you b ♡

      Delete
  5. This is great! Totally need to give 5 more of a go, I need more female friends too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie! It made a world of difference - you can do it easily :)

      Delete
  6. LOVE THIS POST. So many great lessons in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just going to put it out there.

    You have a cool blog.

    You had an amazing 2015,most people take years and years to learn these things, esp that Pizza is the best.

    - Anon that found this fro[m] twitter.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts